Today I am posting about something a little different from my usual weekly Project Life. I have been working on a little mini album and I am pleased to say it’s done.
**A little warning there are a lot of images in this post. In fact a whole mini album worth! **
So why a mini album?
- We were on holiday. It was a long road trip and of course many, many photos were taken. They had to go somewhere.
- I didn’t want to clog up my general family Project Life album with pages and pages of this trip. I still included this trip and photos of it in the usual PL album but different ones. You can check out my week 52 and week 1 if you like.
- It makes a really cool little keepsake of just that family trip. In fact I was on a deadline to finish it a week ago because April (my sweet 8yo) said, and I quote, “I need to take it to school on Friday for show and share” No pressure right?
- Yes we took many pictures but a regular album and core kit would just be way over the top and run the risk of being a little reminiscent of one of those evening when you are invited to a photo night after someone had just been away on a big trip. You know the type … “here I am standing with a camel” … “here I am standing on the other side of the camel” … “here I am sitting on the camel” and “Here the camel …..” you get the picture right? (no offence here I have done this myself)
But what kit did you use?
(Aren’t the Childhood mini kits specifically for documenting childhood years?)
Indeed they are but, when I looked at them online I instantly thought they could easily be used to document other things. Like this trip.
So I bought the Midnight Mini Album and the Wellington Childhood Mini Kit from our lovely Ozzie/NZ distributor Craft House and off I went. Below is the result. (A little about my process at the bottom)
So show me already!
I have to say, I love the velvety insides of these albums
Oh yes I always seem to journal a lot
Loved printing on the kit cards
Not too many extra pretties in this album. It had to be manageable.
I did round the corners again. It’s a habit now
It was as important for me to tell a story as take pictures… read as “I talk a LOT”
I inserted keepsakes like the tickets (shown here)
Sometimes the corners didn’t get rounded
Some pictures call for a full page worth of attention (and it’s an easy way to fill a page)
Are you seeing a general pattern to this yet?
Every day we drove I included a map of the route, distance, destination etc..
One of my favourite pages
These cards are blank as I plan to get the kids to draw or write something about the trip on them.
You see the deliberate matching of journal cards per layout now right?
Using one of the title cards from the kit
Looking at it here I see there is a lot of journalling .. hehe … yup that’s me…
Another page (we’re almost there!)
So about here I was running out of the big 6×4 journal cards and had to get creative with the 3×4’s (or write less….)
Just a few more I promise
Just about there….
And DONE! (Yes I see the typo! …. this page was done on the stroke of midnight on Thursday night before show and share ) … has since been fixed but I kept it here just because … well… it makes me giggle and think of that night finishing it off.
If you made it all the way down here to the bottom of this post! Woot Woot! and a High 5! You’re Awesome.
A few quick points on the process I used (Quick I promise) and different from my usual PL process.
- First I matched up and placed in the blank journal and filler cards.
- Then I printed and added in the photos. (could have stopped here)
- Next I printed in the journalling, stories & stuck in tickets etc. (could have stopped here too)
- Finally I stuck in the very few pretties and stickers. I always only planned on doing this IF I had any time left so there are few. (I did stop here)
Basically a 4 pass process of the album that had me go though the whole thing each time.
It’s true that I am generally a total failure at concurrent crafting projects so, I am thrilled that this one did not fall into that category. It was totally doable and I am so excited I have gone back and bought the other two childhood kits and another mini album 🙂 Eeek!
That’s it. Hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks For Dropping In